KCB owned National Bank of Kenya is now making profits

National Bank of Kenya (NBK) has posted KShs. 87 million in profit after tax for the nine months ending September 2020. This represents a 77% decline over a similar period last year due to effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. The bank recorded a profit before tax of KShs. 535 million representing a 7% increase over a similar period in 2019.

The corporate and retail franchises of the Bank remained resilient, amid a subdued economy and reduced activity across sectors, due to the crisis.  “These results demonstrate the Bank’s resilience, in the face of a very challenging operating environment. They have been buoyed by ongoing efforts to turnaround this institution that have however been slowed down by effects of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said NBK Managing Director Paul Russo.

Non-funded income grew by 5% from the previous year, on increased focus on digital banking. Interest income stood at KShs. 7.2 billion, a growth of 9% due to increased volumes in loans and advances as well as sustained recoveries. Comparatively, interest expense remained relatively flat at KShs. 2 billion. Total operating costs increased by 14%, largely driven by increased provisioning to cover for higher credit risks due to the pandemic in a period that also saw the Bank continue to drive cost management initiatives.

On the balance sheet side, total assets grew by 21% to KShs. 129.5 billion from KShs.107 billion, majorly from net loans and advances which were up 12% to KShs. 53 billion. This was also supported by increased customers and deposits which grew by 24% to KShs.102 billion. Total non-performing loans and advances stood at KShs. 23.3billion, a 15% drop from KShs. 27 billion year on year.

See also  CBK & KDIC To Pursue Outstanding Loan Balances In Imperial Receivership Recovery

The Bank recorded improvements in key ratios such as the capital position. Liquidity ratio was at 47.3%, compared to 35.7% in 2019. “We remain cautiously optimistic about the future of the bank. We continue to invest in revamping our channels and delivering an unmatched experience to our customers,” Mr. Russo added.

Odipo Riaga
Managing Editor at KachTech Media
Odipo Riaga on FacebookOdipo Riaga on Linkedin

You may also like...