Chips, the most craved for food item by Kenyans, that’s according to Uber Eats
The Uber Eats Cravings Report is a snapshot of the most popular, the most unusual, and some of the most unique delivery order requests we see each year. Over the past twelve months, our customers have relied on Uber Eats to get everything from sandwiches to sunflowers to screwdrivers. And everything in between. As you’ll see below, you really can get *anything* on Uber Eats. See below for the full results.
- Grocery delivery is on the rise. The pandemic accelerated the adoption of grocery delivery by several years – and we only expect it to grow. Of the more than 60 grocery stores on Uber Eats in Nairobi, Sunday afternoons were the most popular days to order delivery, with the 5-7 pm time frame the most popular time to schedule orders. And one person even ordered KES 33,509 worth of groceries.
- Health Nuts and Green Machines: Eaters in Kenya satisfied their cravings with some healthy food – with Bio Fresh Whole Milk 1L being the most ordered grocery item.
- It’s always 1PM on Uber Eats: Eaters have shown an interesting trend of placing orders at 1PM, particularly on Sundays, which might mean that traditional workday lunch hours are seeping into the weekend.
- The go-to combo: With hundreds of cuisines and the option to tailor each dish to your liking, the combinations and customizations are endless. Kenyans have shown to satisfy their cravings with the Butter Chicken and Butter naan
- Most requested side: Chips have proven to be the most popular side order, with tomato sauce coming out top of the list of the most requested condiment with 4,889 requests.
- The money spenders: As we expanded into alcohol delivery this year, folks across the world raised a glass. Thirsty customers in Nairobi proved to enjoy the service. The most expensive order has been KES 145,450 with 18 bottles of whiskey.
- Hold off the meat: Vegan dishes proved to be more popular than ever this year, with a 56% rise in vegan restaurants joining the app and orders increasing by 47% since the same time in 2020.
- Vegan desserts account for a large percentage of the favourite dishes, with Magnum Vegan Classic Ice Cream Stick 90ml and Vegan Kilimanjaro Vanilla Tub being the favourite options.
“We are thrilled to bring back our Uber Eats Cravings Report for the third year in a row,” said Nakampe Molewa, General Manager for Uber Eats Sub-Saharan Africa. “We know that there is nothing more fulfilling than satisfying a craving, no matter how specific and unique it may be. Whether you’re ordering watermelon with yellow mustard, or sunflowers and screwdrivers straight to your door, our customers have relied on Uber Eats to get just about everything this past year.” Molewa concludes.
Throughout the last year and a half, Uber Eats has continued to increase the number of grocery stores and local shops, and broaden the selection of everyday products available on the app, to help facilitate the daily life of Kenyans.